Our client, a leading international law firm, is seeking an Accountant / Billing Specialist to join their Brussels office on a permanent basis. This firm is consistently ranked amongst the world's top law firms and is committed to providing the highest quality legal services to their clients.
The Accountant / Billing Specialist will have sole responsibility for the day to day accounting, banking and billing operations for the Brussels office. Key responsibilities will include;
- Produce pre-bills for the Brussels office (and other offices when needed) at the beginning of each month and upon request. Review and edit pre-bills as directed and produce final bills in a timely manner and in accordance with both Firm policy & procedures and local tax & VAT rules.
- Respond promptly to all billing related queries and, when required, meet with partners to discuss billing. Prepare back-up documentation and reports relating to any billing matter, for both partner and client use, on request.
- Follow up with Partners/Associates/Secretaries to ensure bills have been despatched and are properly reported for VAT purposes and posted in the accounting system. Work with partners to ensure prompt billing and gain a good understanding of each partner's needs; assisting partners regarding WIP to ensure deadlines are met.
- Production and accurate submission of e-bills including liaison with the e-billing team based in Los Angeles. Preparation of manual bills as required, including monthly bills for personal account transactions.
- Direct submission and analysis of all vendor invoices onto Chrome River prior to approval by partners & management. Checking of submitted expense claims for accuracy, VAT/tax validity and Firm policy compliance.
- Payment of approved invoices and expense claims, prior to onward application to Firm approved personnel for release of bank payments.
- Check Brussels bank accounts daily, identify, record & post receipts onto Aderant accounting system. Submit receipt reports to interested parties. Deal with all related enquiries and communications.
- Maintain Brussels cash flow forecast spreadsheet and liaise with US team on funding and inter-office fund transfers. Transfer funds internally as required. Control and replenish petty cash float.
- Manage 3rd party client account in accordance with Belgian Bar rules.
- Prepare Brussels office bank and petty cash reconciliations.
- Assist the Director of Administration with the processing of the Brussels payroll; advise on personal account deductions, make salary payments, pay social security taxes and complete/submit the monthly payroll journals to the US finance team. Manage the payment of the Brussels attorney fee and expense invoices.
VAT & Tax Accounting
- Preparation & submission of draft monthly VAT reports to Deloitte. Check and approve Deloitte VAT workings prior to submission to the Belgian VAT authorities. Arrange payment of the monthly VAT liability.
- Liaise with Firm's tax department to prepare annual reports (expense/other) for use by Deloitte Brussels to prepare annual accounts. Assist with report production as required. Submit reports to Deloitte. Manage the Brussels office tax payments & prepayments.
- Assist the Director of Administration with the preparation of the Brussels office annual budget.
The successful candidate will have relevant experience grained from working in a similar position within a law firm. A good working knowledge of the accounting system Aderant Expert or Elite would be advantageous. You must possess good interpersonal skills to maintain effective relationships with partners, lawyers, clients and staff. You must be able to identify and analyse issues and problems and to recommend and implement solutions. Fluency in English and French is a must. If you meet the above criteria, then please contact Ryder Reid for immediate consideration.