Fantastic opportunity to join the growing London office of a highly-successful US law firm. Our client is looking to recruit an AML Specialist to join the three existing members of the AML team in London. The team works more widely with the Compliance lawyer, the MRLO in London and the Deputy Counsel in the US.
The candidate will have a minimum of 2 years law firm conflicts research experience and AML compliance experience from a professional services background and will be familiar with AML conflict software.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Participates in the intake of new matters to the Firm where the involvement of a regulated person or entity triggers an anti-money laundering (AML) risk assessment.
- Based upon risk assessments, employs various print and electronic resources to research and confirm the identities of clients, beneficial owners and third-party payors and understand their businesses and their means of payment.
- Locates and obtains company incorporation or regulatory information for clients and beneficial owners in EMEA, the U.K. and the U.S., in furtherance of the Firm's client due diligence (CDD) obligations.
- Maintains an internal AML database of CDD information about firm clients and other relevant parties, in line with Law Society regulations and Firm policy, and updates expired information.
- Communicates daily with partners, administrators and staff about AML compliance, explaining the legal requirements and working to obtain the necessary CDD information. Responds to questions from Firm lawyers and staff about the AML regulations and Firm policy.
- Attends to the monthly audit of U.S. matters requiring AML review to ensure the U.S. partners involved are aware of the requirements and confirming they comply as needed.
- Escalates high risk matters and requests for exemption to AML Lawyers or the Money Laundering Reporting Officer (MLRO) for review, by presenting a memo explaining the risk factors involved with the particular case.
- Maintains knowledge of changes in the AML regulations and obtains regular training to stay abreast of requirements. Trains new staff in Firm AML policies and procedures.
The ideal candidate for the AML Specialist position will have previous conflicts research experience, with some AML compliance experience being strongly preferred. You must be degree educated and be familiar with automated conflict checking systems and AML compliance software, used in a law firm setting. You will have strong research abilities and an understanding of the complexities of corporate structures and business relationships. Familiarity with AML regulations and related legislation is preferred. You must have strong interpersonal skills and excellent written and oral communication skills, and be able to establish strong working relationships with individuals of all levels across the firm.