Our successful US-headquartered law firm client is looking to recruit a Business Development Manager - Europe. The Business Development Manager-Europe is responsible for working closely with the partners and practice groups in the London, Paris, and Moscow offices to facilitate regional marketing and business development initiatives, consistent with the overall goals of the firm. The Manager will oversee a team of two (one specialist and one coordinator) and will serve as the BD lead for the International Arbitration and Transportation Finance practices on a global basis.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with each practice team and partner to help them create and implement their business development and marketing plans, in collaboration with global BD and Industry team colleagues.
- Develop effective initiatives to raise the visibility of the firm in the UK and European markets for the purposes of developing new work. Cross-sell existing firmwide clients on the services offered by London, Paris, and Moscow practices.
- Respond to major pitches and proposals for London and Moscow partners; oversee the work of the Marketing & BD Specialist on French language pitches. Assist fee earners to effectively position and sell the firm's services and unique competitive advantages. Produce marketing collateral for pitches and events. Ensure data on RFPs and pitches is recorded and updated in the BD Opportunity Tracker.
- Lead implementation of the International Arbitration practice's strategic business plan in coordination with BD colleagues in Asia and the U.S., including facilitating visibility-raising initiatives, responding to major RFPs and pitches, participating in targeting projects, and handling all award and directory submissions.
- Serve as the BD lead for the Transportation Finance subgroup globally, including facilitating visibility-raising initiatives, responding to major RFPs and pitches, participating in targeting projects, and handling all award and directory submissions.
- Ensure firmwide experience databases and calendars are kept updated and include European activities and initiatives; contribute to raising the visibility of the London, Paris, and Moscow offices internally.
- In conjunction with the Marketing Communications team, assist in implementing PR initiatives with outside PR consultants. Assist fee earners in identifying and securing speaking engagements and other thought leadership. Work with partners to compile information and draft submissions to key legal directories and awards.
- Oversee the team in coordinating London and Paris business development events, conferences, and seminars.
- Stay abreast of local competitor best practices, market, and industry trends, and provide competitor research to lawyers and marketing staff, as needed. Work with BD Research team to identify opportunities for development and for pitches.
- In conjunction with global team, provide marketing orientation for new fee earners in the London, Paris and Moscow offices, including overview of all relevant policies and procedures.
The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level or equivalent and will have strong relevant experience from a law firm or professional services organisation. You must have strong writing, editing, and proofing skills; excellent communication skills, both written and oral; the ability to adapt communication to the audience; and high attention to detail. You must have experience preparing proposal (RFP) responses, pitch materials, presentations and other related materials. You will have strong project management skills and the ability to mentor and develop more junior team members without micromanaging.