Our client, a progressive and forward-thinking global headquartered law firm, has a new opportunity for a Compliance Lawyer, Data Protection to join their London office on a 12-month fixed term contract basis. The role will report to the Compliance Director. The Compliance Lawyer, Data Protection will work within the London Compliance team leading on data protection in-house compliance issues in addition to other tasks. The London Compliance team is a small team of lawyers and analysts who advise on a broad range of compliance and regulatory issues relevant to legal practice.
Key responsibilities for this role include:
- Lead on data protection issues affecting the London office or its European branches, such as revising and amending firm policy, reviewing client terms and supplier questionnaires, considering data transfer issues, advising on use of standard contractual clauses, responding to DSARs and data erasure requests, evaluating any potential data breaches, and maintaining the firm's ICO registration.
- Undertake an audit of existing privacy and data protection policies and procedures to consider any gaps and improvements based on market practice while aligning with the firm's risk management appetite.
- Horizon scan for new developments in data protection laws that affect the legal sector and amend policies in line with legislative changes.
- Regularly meet with the London office client-facing data protection lawyers to progress internal data protection projects and liaise with their European and US counterparts when necessary.
- Create a suite of templates and know how to assist the London Compliance team in responding to repeat data protection related queries.
- Share knowledge and train the wider London Compliance team on data protection issues by proactively sharing knowledge in weekly team meetings.
- Assist with a variety of compliance related queries relating to secondments, insider lists, contractual arrangements with clients, clearing conflicts for new matters and lateral hires, and compliance with the SRA Codes of Conduct; and
- Assist with developing and delivering risk and compliance training and general awareness raising amongst partners and employees.
The ideal candidate for the Compliance Lawyer, Data Protection position will be a qualified lawyer, with experience in an international/ UK law firm. Previous experience of Data Protection and Compliance work is desirable. You must have excellent communication skills, be a logical thinker and have the ability to build strong and effective relationships. This is an excellent opportunity to join a highly successful firm so if you meet the above criteria then please contact Ryder Reid for immediate consideration.