Our US law firm client is looking to recruit a new Conflicts Lawyer to join their London office. The Conflicts Lawyer will work closely with the General Counsel's office and Professional Responsibility Committee. You will analyse results from searches of the firm's conflicts database and outside sources to identify potential or actual conflicts posed by new work or new hires.
Key responsibilities for the Conflicts Lawyer will include:
- Create and analyse complex conflict reports and exercise independent judgment to identify potential conflict of interest issues with legal hires, new business and marketing initiatives. Conduct research to gather information and/or clarification on potential issues. Take the initiative to analyse and resolve conflicts independently.
- Prepare communications to attorneys, clearly identifying all potential issues found in conflict report. Assist attorneys in resolving conflict issues. Work directly with attorneys, the Department Director, and the Ethics Advisory Committee, as necessary, to assist and facilitate conflict resolution.
- Provide guidance to Conflicts staff relative to conflict research and analysis and corporate family tree research with the goal of ensuring accuracy and consistency in preparation and analysis of conflict reports. Assist in development and implementation of training programs for Conflict Analysts and Specialists.
- Assist attorneys and secretaries in understanding the firm's conflicts and business intake policies and procedures.
- Assist attorneys to draft engagement and waiver letters.
- Research appropriate jurisdictional conflict and/or ethical rules and/or opinions to assist in determining specific conflict resolution strategies.
- Request and maintain all necessary supporting documentation to clear actual or potential conflict issues.
- Prepare and implement information barriers.
- Assist in the customisation and implementation of new software for conflicts, business intake and information barriers.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, developments and new technologies impacting the conflicts group.
- Participate in providing coverage for conflict checking and analysis via on-call rotation on scheduled weekends.
- Assume additional responsibilities as required.
The ideal candidate for the Conflicts Lawyer role will either be a qualified lawyer or have a Law degree and extensive Conflicts experience. Familiarity with anti-money laundering compliance regimes is also preferred. You must have excellent legal or business research ability using various online databases and print resources. Strong analytical skills, relationship building, and communications skills are required. It is important that you are able to distil a quantity of complex data into a manageable, logical explanation of the legal issue and recommended steps to be taken. You must have excellent judgment, including knowing when to escalate an issue. You will be familiar with Intapp OPEN or other automated conflict of interest clearance workflow procedures and systems.