As Director of AML/Compliance, you will be responsible for the firm's Anti-Money Laundering and prevention of financial crime compliance operations in coordination with the firm's Money Laundering Compliance Officer (MLCO), Money Laundering Reporting Officers (MLROs), the Director of New Business Intake, Compliance Officer for Finance and Administration, Compliance Officer for Legal Practice (COLP), and Assistant General Counsel (UK).
Key responsibilities for the Director of AML/Compliance will include:
- Act as a dynamic global ambassador for compliance with regimes relating to anti-money laundering (AML), anti-bribery and corruption (ABC), illegal tax benefits, and other relevant requirements.
- Manage, develop, motivate, and inspire compliance staff including the AML Manager, Senior AML Analysts, and AML Analysts.
- Develop, maintain, and communicate policies and templates that set firm standards for complying with AML, ABC, and other financial crimes related regulatory requirements imposed by the United Kingdom, European Union, Hong Kong, Singapore, the UAE and other jurisdictions as required.
- Oversee and develop processes designed to comply with regulatory requirements and respond to business need. Example processes include identifying matters and clients that fall within the scope of the relevant legislation, conducting client and matter due diligence as part of the intake process and at appropriate intervals, ensuring complete records are kept and that AML audits are conducted.
- Conduct and update firm risk assessments relating to AML and ABC, provide policy and process recommendations to address identified risks and implement policies as approved by the COLP, COFA and MLROs.
- Assist the AML Manager, Senior AML Analysts, and AML Analysts when responding to queries from clients, lawyers and other firm staff relating to AML and financial crime processes and procedures.
- Develop tailored guidance materials and training for lawyers and other firm staff and provide training in person and online at appropriate intervals. Track completion of training and provide records to the COLP, COFA, and/or the MLROs as appropriate.
- Coordinate meetings of the Money Laundering Reporting Officers and other meetings as required.
- Assist the MLROs and MLCO with queries raised by regulators in relation to AML policies and procedures.
- Report breaches of policy and/or regulations to the COLP and/or the MLRO as appropriate and assist in keeping the breaches register.
- Monitor regulatory updates and guidance and receive feedback on compliance operations from lawyers and staff. Provide policy and process recommendations to address updates and guidance and implement as approved by the COLP, COFA and MLROs. Provide other support to the MLROs, MLCO, COLP and COFA as needed.
- Other compliance-related projects as required.
The ideal candidate for the Director of AML/Compliance will have strong experience of working in a compliance function. You will have knowledge of the U.K. Money Laundering, Terrorists Financing and Transfer of Funds Regulations 2017, the Legal Sector Affinity Group's Anti-Money Laundering Guidance for the Legal Sector, and other regulatory materials relevant to the firm's compliance obligations. Excellent written and oral communication skills are required, along with strong project and people management skills. You will have an unequivocal commitment to maintaining high ethical standards and strict confidentiality of firm and client information, and the ability to work independently, take initiatives and set priorities.