Our highly-successful US headquartered law firm client is seeking a Director of Risk & Compliance, EMEA. In this role you will be responsible for providing a comprehensive risk management and compliance service to the EMEA offices, integrating fully with the firm's global team.
The incumbent will act as Money Laundering Reporting Officer and work alongside the Compliance Officer for Legal Practice (COLP), Compliance Officer for Finance and Administration (COFA), the Money Laundering Compliance Officer and Deputy, the Office Managing Partners, Loss Prevention Partners and Data Protection Officers, the Training Partner, the Director of Administration and Senior HR Manager in the management of the compliance function for the London office. The role involves liaison and integration with the Firm's Office of the General Counsel and Client Matter Administration teams in the US.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Interact with the firm's General Counsel as needed on firm-wide compliance issues.
- Provide guidance on engagement letters/terms of engagement.
- Assist with conflicts issues, as necessary.
- Assist the firm's Privacy Office, Data Protection Officer, HR and Marketing functions with data protection and data privacy compliance.
- Responsible for the firm's Modern slavery and office supplier due diligence.
- Conduct annual review of Compliance Plan, Risk Management Manual, AML Manual, Firmwide Risk Assessment and all risk-related policies and ensure they are kept up to date.
- Liaise with the lawyers in relation to compliance issues arising on matters, working with the COLP, COFA and others, as required.
- Manage the matter file review process to ensure the UK LLP is in compliance with the SRA Code of Conduct and Rules and that all associated due diligence has been captured including AML, ABC, Engagement letters, Outsourcing etc.
- Act as primary point of contact with the SRA and other similar organisations.
- Update the firm's SRA record and liaise with HR in relation to changes in personnel.
- Renew the firm's SRA authorisation annually and individual practising certificates annually and as required in relation to new joiners.
- Responsible for the annual practising certificate renewal process for all England & Wales qualified Solicitors, RFLs and RELs throughout the firm's international network of offices.
- Keep up to date with SRA changes and LLP requirements, working with HR to ensure appropriate policies and training are implemented.
- Set agenda and serve as member of the UK LLP Risk Management Committee.
- Act as the MLRO for London and support the regional MLROs as appropriate, including advising on the local requirements in other EMEA offices.
- Review and approve all London AML clearance requests, review CDD and PEP results and liaison with partners accordingly.
- Responsible for project management of new AML technology adopted in the firm and associated training across relevant offices.
- Provide annual training across London and relevant global offices continuously monitor for updates including SRA, Law Society guidance and Financial Action Task Force alerts and develop best practices.
- Monitor sanctions updates and communicate any changes, as necessary.
- Assist with and support AML audits.
- Deliver induction training for new joiners on risk management and compliance including the client inception, conflicts and AML processes.
- Ensure that all fee earners in AML policy offices are fully trained on the AML policy and provide further guidance on complex AML issues.
- Ensure that all secretaries are trained on completing AML forms and conducting checks, where simplified due diligence applies.
- Proactively identify risk and recommend solutions to mitigate risk, implementing polices and training, as necessary.
The ideal candidate will have in-depth practical knowledge of the SRA Handbook, Money Laundering Regulations and other relevant legislation, and considerable practical experience of AML in a global law firm. Previous experience as an MLRO (or deputy) is desirable. You will have a commercial and pragmatic approach, an eye for detail, and strong communication skills.