Brilliant new opportunity for a Learning & Development Manager to join the rapidly growing office of a US law firm. The Learning and Development Manager will serve as point person for the Firm's practice of law and business & professional skills training, coaching and mentoring programmes for London-based people. In collaboration with the global PD, HR and London Risk & Compliance teams, the position will also support England & Wales-qualified lawyers with Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) continuing competence requirement reporting.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Developing relationships, and meeting regularly, with London Office practice group training partners, PSLs and associate advisors, to plan and produce regular practice-area specific and cross-practice area practice of law (technical legal) training programmes.
- Planning and producing the London office business and professional skills programmes, including Building Career Success (a learning and coaching programme for mid-level London-based associates), Skills for Success (a professional skills programme for junior London-based associates), the trainee induction and programmes conducted in collaboration with London wellness advisory group.
- Advising and supporting the global PD team with communications and implementation of global programmes, including the firm's Harvard and the global associate orientation programme.
- Collaborating with PD team members in the U.S. and Asia to cross-promote learning content.
- Co-ordinating and collaborating with the London Associate PD Committee and the Training Partners' Committee.
- Collecting, analysing and reporting on data necessary for SRA continuing competence compliance reporting. Serving as a subject matter expert in England & Wales qualification, including by advising global lawyers on the SQE exam process.
- Overseeing the local implementation of L&D programmes and resources that form part of the global Business Services learning offering, including business skills programmes for all business services professionals and for those in leadership and management roles.
- Overseeing the local implementation of the Firm's mentoring programmes.
- Developing and managing external learning and coaching vendor relationships, including managing presentation preparation, logistics, contracts and invoices.
- Managing the relationship with local legal/bar exam training providers (e.g., for GDL/LPC, SQE, QLTS and NY Bar), advising on course content/options and ensuring compliance with SRA regulations for Training Contracts.
- Facilitating internal focus groups, compiling and analysing feedback, and recommending curriculum and programme delivery innovations.
- Ensuring L&D content on the intranet is maintained and up to date.
- In collaboration with PD Director, creating and managing the annual London L&D budget.
- Serving as the Firm's subject matter expert on current programmes (particularly Building Career Success Programme) and working with, and advising, the Recruitment and PR teams on external promotion of these programmes.
- Line-management for, and development of, the London-based PD Administrator:
- Ad hoc project work, as required e.g., benchmarking, research, change management projects.
The ideal candidate will have strong previous L&D experience within a law firm/professional services firm and be educated to degree level or equivalent. You must be able to influence, persuade and negotiate both internally and externally, and have excellent organisational, planning, problem-solving and decision-making skills. Good interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with people at all levels, including partners and clients, is a must. You will have sound judgement, sharp business acumen, the ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with the appropriate discretion, and the ability to multi task. Experience of project management and budgeting is required, along with experience of document management systems.