Our US law firm client has an exciting new opportunity for a Senior Anti-Money Laundering Specialist join their London office on a permanent basis. The Senior Anti-Money Laundering Specialist will be a key member of the London based Compliance Team who are responsible for managing all aspects of the firm's anti-money laundering (AML) process, including client verification, risk assessments and on-going monitoring. This role will be responsible for ensuring that the on-boarding of new clients, new matters and third-party payers complies with the requirements of applicable AML legislation and the firm's AML policies, controls and procedures.
Key responsibilities include:
- Maintain compliance with the firm's AML policies, controls and procedures ("PCPs") in line with the Money Laundering Regulations 2017, as amended and updated.
- Revise and update the firm's existing AML PCPs based on applicable legislation and developing guidance.
- Assist with regular independent audits and develop and, together with European Counsel, Risk & Compliance, design and implement appropriate audit improvement plans.
- Remain up to date with and monitor legal and regulatory developments in AML compliance (including sanctions screening).
- Ensure that new clients, new matters and third-party payers comply with the requirements of applicable AML legislation and the Firm's PCPs.
- Conduct client due diligence research and PEP and sanctions screening using various third-party databases and web-based research.
- Obtain information on and analyse source of wealth and source of funds.
- Review, interpret and risk assess the results of the research and complete client and matter risk assessments.
- Manage on-going status monitoring and report internally as required.
- Work closely with Team colleagues, lawyers, secretaries, the Compliance Team in Asia, the General Counsel Team in New York and the Firm's MLRO.
- Respond to and communicate with partners, fee earners and staff at all levels relating to the interpretation of relevant legislation, regulation and the firm's PCPs pertaining to AML.
- Possess the gravitas, understanding and patience to explain AML related requirements to overseas colleagues who may be unfamiliar with client due diligence and risk assessments.
- Work with the Finance Team to ensure that adequate AML checks are conducted in connection with funds received into the firm's accounts
- Act as a first point of escalation and ensure enquiries about AML compliance are managed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Gain a detailed understanding of the firm's Aderant new matter workflow so as to be able to respond to queries about this from all levels of staff.
- Provide input into other AML related compliance-based projects, as required.
- Monitor the day-to-day AML work of the Compliance Assistant and provide support and mentoring for their development.
The ideal candidate will have solid AML compliance experience within a law firm, ideally with exposure to international offices. You must be an enthusiastic self-starter with highly effective communication skills and a strong client service ethic. The ability to build strong and effective relationships across the business is essential, as is excellent organisational skills and attention to detail.
If you meet the above criteria, then please contact Ryder Reid Legal today for a confidential discussion.